Stopping and staying stopped

“At the hospital I was separated from alcohol for the last time. Treatment seemed wise, for I showed signs of delirium tremens.” (Bill’s Story)

 
I said to Doug, in 1993, “I’ve given up drinking.” He said, “Princess, it gave you up.”
 
I have never stopped drinking, at least not as an act of the will.
 
There was a last drink. I lifted the bottle to my mouth and drank from it.
 
The bottle was taken from me.
 
The evidence that I should stop drinking was there for years but largely invisible to me.
 
What is stopping?
 
Recognising a drink drunk as the last drink then progressing gradually to an alcohol-free state.
 
The insight I should stop was a gift I neither earned nor bade come to me.
 
The ability to formulate an actual plan to stop was a gift.
 
The ability to implement that plan was a gift.
 
The ability to withstand the withdrawal symptoms was a gift.
 
Some people need considerably more help to proceed through the period of the alcohol leaving the body and the body adjusting to the new circumstances.
 
The availability of resources to help me was a gift.
 
Once I was fully detoxed, a second project, staying stopped, came into play.
 
This involves not having the first drink.
 
This involves not drinking the first drink when the thought of a drink occurs to me.
 
This involves being defended by an overriding force when the thought of a drink occurs to me.
 
This involves being on an entirely new footing, in the process of eliminating every shred of selfishness from my life.
 
If I am progressing in that project, diligently and swiftly enough, the overriding force is activated.
 
I do not avoid the first drink as an act of the will.
 
I commit to not having the first drink, ever again.
 
I then commit to a course of action that enables that to be implemented.
 
But not by be.
 
Back to stopping drinking:
 
Many people never stop drinking, because they cannot conjure the forces that must necessarily intervene from outside the system, and the forces never intervene.
 
No other person can conjure those forces. No group of people can conjure those forces. Sometimes someone is ‘trying to stop’ and everyone is ‘trying to help’ but nothing shifts, not an inch.
 
They have Good Ideas that are Ideas but are not Good.
 
They follow those Good Ideas into the forest and never return.
 
I now understand with horror that I never stopped drinking but was separated from alcohol.
 
I was released: I did not release myself.