Ghosts [but not the Ibsen]

A: Can you help me? I'm frightened of ghosts.

B: Sure. I'm very experienced with ghosts. I can help you manage the fear. Ghosts are very frightening.

A: That's really useful. Thanks!

B: That'll be a hundred pounds, please.

A: A bargain!


[Some time later]


A: I'm still frightened of ghosts.

B: Give time time.


[Some time later]


A: B is helping me with ghosts. It's slow, but it's important work. I really feel we're making progress.

C: There are no ghosts.

A: What do you mean?

C: There are no ghosts.

A: But I see them!

C: Yes, but that doesn't mean they're there.

A: How can I see something that isn't there?

C: You see what you want to be there; you see what you decide is there.

A: But there must be a world beyond my desires and thoughts.

C: Yes. But you're not seeing that: you're building the ghosts out of what you see.

A: So what is actually there?

C: Light, darkness, shadows, sounds.

A: That's not very frightening.

C: No.

A: Nor exciting.

C: No, not particularly.

A: And the light, the darkness, the shadows, the sounds, are not out to get me?

C: No. They don't know you're there.

A: I feel a little deflated.

C: Yes.

A: How much do I owe you?

C: Nothing.