Every day ... must ...

“It is easy to let up on the spiritual program of action and rest on our laurels. We are headed for trouble if we do, for alcohol is a subtle foe. We are not cured of alcoholism. What we really have is a daily reprieve contingent on the maintenance of our spiritual condition. Every day is a day when we must carry the vision of God’s will into all of our activities.” (Chapter 6, Big Book)

When, today, I do not take the actions indicated, it is because I believe I do not need to take those actions, today, in order to guarantee not succumbing, today, to the desire to drink.

In other words, I have ceased to believe I am an alcoholic.

An alcoholic might be considered someone who must be making spiritual progress, today, in order to guarantee staying sober, today.

It’s a useful question to ask myself:

“What does my prioritisation of spiritual growth-related activities (or failure to prioritise them) say about my belief concerning my alcoholism?”