Design for living

“We, in our turn, sought the same escape with all the desperation of drowning men. What seemed at first a flimsy reed, has proved to be the loving and powerful hand of God. A new life has been given us or, if you prefer, ‘a design for living’ that really works.” (Chapter 2, Big Book)

Steps Ten through Twelve provide me with a practical system for living. When I rely on that, which really means relying on God, I do not need to rely on self, and I do not get myself into trouble.

- Be with God as I wake up

- Read spiritual literature daily, in the morning

- Extract lessons therefrom to apply to the day

- Devise a plan for the day each morning so I know precisely what I’m doing and when I’m doing it

- Construct the plan around necessary preparations and the fulfilment of obligations

- Work now, play later

- Stick to the plan: no messing around; no impulsive alterations

- Go to lots of meetings

- Carry the message at every meeting I go to (or at least be visibly available to do so)

- Carry the message as afforded the opportunity in online groups

- Spend at least one hour on working days (at least two hours on non-working days) on step work (or, if not in a step work cycle, on sponsoring others)

- Only consort with pragmatic people who will not countenance self-pity, self-indulgence, victimhood, avoidance, sloth, complacency, cynicism, or rebellion

- If troubled, immediately apply the tools of Steps Ten and Eleven: no wallowing

- If very troubled, read or listen to spiritual materials until the solution(s) become apparent: then write them down and apply them

- I’m not done until I feel entirely better

- Never go to bed disturbed: sort it out now

- Be with God before going to sleep