Baseline gratitude

Here’s a good list of major things that pretty much everyone in recovery has available and can activate on any day or in any week.

When someone asks me how things are going or how my week was, the answer is always excellent, because this list is always operative.

To answer otherwise is to deny the good.

If I’ve had bad feelings, that’s not down to my life: that’s down to me. The truth is that all is well, but I have refused to see it.

- Somewhere to live

- Utilities

- An income

- Having sufficient physical health to live a life

- The ability to buy food and other necessities

- Cooking facilities

- Living in a nice neighbourhood

- Being in recovery from alcoholism

- Having friends and acquaintances to talk to

- Getting to talk to friends and acquaintances

- Having physical meetings to go to

- Having people to talk to at those meetings

- Having a Higher Power

- Having a relationship with a Higher Power

- Having a free-of-charge programme to change one’s life

- Making progress in that programme

- Having a highly effective daily programme to live by

- Having experienced people in recovery to consult

- There being lots of interesting things to do

- There being lots of things in the world to take an interest in

- The availability of nature

There is no reason not to be perfectly cheerful, unless I have decided I would rather be miserable.