Turning it over

In Step Three, we are to turn over our wills and lives to God.

Turn over (per Webster's 1913):

To transfer; as, to turn over business to another hand. 

I can transfer only what is in my hand. You are not in my hand. The world is not in my hand. The past and future are not in my hand. Outcomes are not in my hand. I cannot turn these over. The delusion that they are in my hand must be smashed.

What is turned over?

My will (my determined course of action) and my life (my pursuit of that course of action) are transferred to God, and are matched by the two notions of the knowledge of God's will for me and the power to carry that out.

I do that by asking God for what to do and then by asking God for the strength to do it.

That is the entire programme. The only two ways to fail are not to do that or to do other than that.