The Work

A few are fortunate enough to be so situated that they can give nearly all their time to the work. (Chapter 2)

We do not like the thought that the contents of a book or the work of another alcoholic has accomplished in a few weeks that for which we struggled for years. (Chapter 8)

This couple has since become so fascinated that they have dedicated their home to the work. (Chapter 11)

The 'work' in AA is the facilitation and performance of carrying the message.

How much time am I spending on the programme each day?

It's the time I am spending on the facilitation and performance of carrying the message.

It's possible to be spending hours on AA activities each day, whilst spending nought minutes on 'the work'.

Everything else, all the 'work on myself', and anything contained in the first eleven steps, is not the work but the preparation for the work.

When I'm not getting the promised results of being happy, joyous, and free, even though I'm apparently doing 'lots of AA things, including work on myself', it's usually because I'm not doing 'the work' as described above.

The solution when I'm in a bad way is not the first eleven steps. It's the Twelfth Step.