Why am I still sober?

In 1993, they told me to do the Steps. Maureen told me to never go to fewer than two meetings a week. They told me to trust God and work with others.

No one from those groups in 1993 has called me up and told me that they were wrong, that they are so sorry for misleading me, and that I actually need to do something else to stay sober or get well.

I just do what they said. I figure I don't have the authority to override their advice, because I was the babbling idiot they were giving the advice to, so there is no basis on which I would stop doing any of those things.

The root of all evil lies in three ideas:

1.  I can do whatever I want

2.  No one has the right to command me

3.  I recognise no god but myself

Father Vincent Lampert

The root of drinking again lies also in these.