Episode

Meetings are not reality shows. The attendees are not the stars, sitting in the tête-à-tête seat, face on to the camera, revealing 'what's really going on in the house'. One's shares should not be episodic rehearsals of drama, apotheosis, and dénouement; one should not aim to keep listeners on the edge of their seats with threats to drink or commit suicide one week, and lavish expressions of joy or bullishness the next. When I share, I'm not the star of the show. God is the star of the show. The programme is the star of the show. I'm the screen onto which the show is projected. I'm the material used by God to demonstrate the programme. I don't need to 'bring people up to speed' or 'get current'. It's not catch-up time, news hour, the confession box, or a real-time, blow-by-blow account of how I'm exercising self-will to fix the situation that was so bothering me last week; it's not a venue to render questionable action a fait accompli [that's my third French-ism of the article] by public proclamation.

It's a good idea to let current issues resolve themselves fully, and then to give it a minute, to give time time, to allow the understanding to settle itself down. This saves me firstly from presenting erroneous understandings based on 'taking the cake out of the oven too early' and secondly from making a show of myself in precisely the place I need to be somewhere that has a degree of camaraderie and comfort but also a degree of boundaried-ness. There should be nothing I share publicly that I would not say to every single one of the people in the room individually. Being vulnerable is not good. If I can be injured (which is what vulnerability suggests) by virtue of what I share, I should not be saying it. When I was new, I was regularly told, rightly, that what I was sharing was too much for meetings and should be reserved for one-to-one encounters, maybe with a sponsor, who had licence to provide input.

The better part of valour is discretion; in the which better part I have saved my life. (Falstaff, King Henry the Fourth, Part One)