Values

I made a list of ten people I admire the most. The list tells me what values I have and what values I aspire to. Five were people I did not know. Five are people I have known.

Brother Lawrence was a 17th century monk who learned how to practise the presence of God.

Mary Oliver wrote about nature and choosing for nature and God over the world's noisy values.

St Alphonsus Rodriguez was a doorkeeper at a Jesuit college in Mallorca, who envisioned God in each person coming to the door.

Herbert Howells spent his life writing music, most of which was to the grace of God, specifically a large number of canticle settings.

Brother André worked as a porter at the Collège Notre-Dame in Côte-des-Neiges, Quebec, and also served as sacristan, laundry worker and messenger; he ministered to the sick.

H is a happy member of AA. Nothing gets him down, even others' skepticism and criticism.

J acts as a channel for God to work transformation in people's souls, unlocking that which is locked.

P brought God into every room he entered and talked of little other than God.

B displayed cheerful placidity in the face of considerable ills.

C appreciated everything God provided and chose this over worldly success.