The vicious cycle of mental attack

  • When I attack, I'm making your sin real.
  • If your sin is real, so is mine.
  • I feel guilt for all of my sin, past and present.
  • I also feel guilty for the present attack.
  • This compounds the guilt.
  • To conceal the guilt, I attack again.

Note, moral flaws are real, the moral law is real, and there are moral consequences. Others' flaws are God's business; my own flaws are to be surrendered to God to be washed away and to create space for my redirection to the performance of God's will.

But what we're talking about here is the moralism directed at others, the wrath, the condemnation, the holding of others in an oily pit of turpitude: that's the problem; that's the liquid in the circuit.

It is possible to recognise and deal with one's own (or others') defective attitude or actions in an entirely neutral way without allowing the emotion associated with that recognition (situational guilt and situational anger) to swill over the top of the container and infect the person as well, dark-flowering into shame and rage.