Mind my language

I seek to use plain, ordinary language in Al-Anon meetings. I might fail at times, but that is the objective.

I avoid jargon (unless I'm then going to explain the jargon for anyone new or newish) and I avoid terminology from other domains, chiefly psychology or similar (narcissism, toxicity, gaslighting, abuse, trauma) but also fluffy figurative language about spirituality or recovery, whose precise or real meaning is obscure to many (claiming my seat, holding the space, emotionally unavailable).

I also avoid poetic language, because, when I was new, and people used it, I did not know what to do with it. Being told that an idea or a reading was powerful, beautiful, nourishing, or rich did not add to my knowledge or understanding.

I don't say heart when I mean mind or emotions.

I don't say people-pleasing when I mean ingratiation or corruption.

What helped me recover was clear descriptions in plain language of what the problem was, what the solution was, and how to implement it.