January and February

As we know, January is by far the longest month. Except February is longer.

It's very dark. Christmas was several years ago. And, oh look! It's Lent, soon. Goodie. Let's give up one of the few remaining nice things.

With regard to one's own affairs: It's a lot to take in.

With regard to the world: It's really a lot to take in.

It's too much, in fact. And that's OK.

The only way to trust God is to trust God. That means, when I say to God, 'Please look after me!', I'm no longer my business. It really is OK to:

  • Do what needs to be done today.
  • No, not today: that's too much.
  • Do what needs to be done this morning.
  • You know what? Also too much.
  • Do what needs to be done this hour.
  • Now, that's a lot, but it's doable.
  • I can live for an hour, doing the next right thing, and trusting God.

In the meantime, maybe a gratitude list each day.

I don't believe in artificial gratitude lists: Thank you for my spleen, and thank you for Thomas Aquinas, and thank you for Mozambique.

It's more important to be grateful for things that are real to me and I really appreciate.

Gratitude lists can also be overwhelming ... they can also be a lot. Too much. So what about a short list?

Three things I have already appreciated in the last 24 hours.

Three things I'm looking forward to in the next 24 hours.

They can be small.

Last 24 hours:

  • The pillows.
  • The coffee.
  • The scarf.

Next 24 hours:

  • Breakfast.
  • Stopping to pray mid morning.
  • Going for a run.
And then say, Thank you, God, for the pillows; Thank you, God, for the coffee; ...

More is not necessary.

I have not done a thousand things or a hundred things but, perhaps, a few. (Mary Oliver)

[Perhaps: she's not even sure of the few. That's right.] 

If you can sing, do it. If not, even silence can feel, to the world, like happiness, like praise, from the pool of shade you have found beneath the everlasting. (Mary Oliver)

He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty. (Psalm 91)