Free will

At each given point in time, I have free will.

The right way to exercise it is to ask: What is God’s will for me, right here, right now?

This has to be followed up by diligently seeking God’s will and then sound testing of the inspiration, the intuitive thought, or the decision, and finally concerted action.

Anything else is the misuse of the will. Even submission to another human being is itself an act of the will.

My past passivity and indifference were acts of the will. My victimhood—in the sense of falsely attributing my beliefs, thoughts, actions, and thus feelings to the influence or control of others—was an act of the will. My depression and anxiety, at their root, were acts of the will.

Certainly, as a child, the will is subordinated to the emotions. Impressions, perceptions, and interpretations feel instinctive and inevitable, natural in the sense of stemming from one’s nature. As an adult, one is held, at least by the law, to be responsible for one’s actions. Except in the case of the criminal insane, the law recognises that people are responsible for their actions. By extension, the law holds the individual also to be responsible for their thoughts: planning, plotting, and premeditation are part of the criminal act, and these are mental acts.

I certainly needed to be taught firstly that I was responsible for all of my beliefs, thinking, and behaviour and then I needed to be taught how to be thus responsible, in order to fully exercise that responsibility. But even as a mid teenager I was aware that I was choosing, for instance to sit alone and think about Sylvia Plath rather than join in with what others were doing and make the best of it.

Today, I can see that my self-defeating mental habits, like the grossly immoral acts of theft or violence, are turnings away from God, away from the theological virtues of faith in God’s providence and direction, hope for a good future through the grace of God, and charity in the form of loving God by serving others.