Affect

Emotions come and go. General baseline mood fluctuates.

A terrible habit in recovery is to ask oneself, first thing in the morning, 'How I am doing?', with the question concerning one's affect, namely emotion and mood.

Don't do this. Get up and running with the morning routine, with the morning Step Eleven activities, and get on with the day. Step Eleven will sort out the emotions relating to the last and next twenty-four hours. General mood of the day is not amenable to my influence. It is literally unfathomable. General baseline mood, over time, is dealt with through the reapplication of the first nine Steps.

I give any emotions and moods to God directly to deal with. I do not deal with them myself. I do not process them. They're not cheese. I note particularly prominent ones but without dwelling and then move on. There is quite literally nothing to see.

If in doubt, pray more, meditate more, and nap.