The most important part of Step Five

Those of us belonging to a religious denomination which requires confession must, and of course, will want to go to the properly appointed authority whose duty it is to receive it. Though we have no religious connection, we may still do well to talk with someone ordained by an established religion. We often find such a person quick to see and understand our problem.

I took Step Five yesterday (with a properly appointed authority). At the end, he asked, 'Is there anything else?'

I looked inside. A couple of things came up. I realise immediately I had covered both, and they dissolved.

And then it was clear: the little wooden box was cleared and entirely empty. There was nothing else. I was aware that all the ego's ammunition had been taken away. There was nothing but me and God.

Of course, the ego will be busy putting little trinkets in the box and is likely already doing so, which is why this process loops. But to get to the point of nothingness: that is the basis on which one then strides into living life solely on the basis of reliance on and service of God.