Grim

"No matter how grim the situation may be" (ODAT, December 22) 

Situations are grim not by nature but by judgement.

Rather than insisting on my global assessment of my situation as 'grim' but then decorating it, it is better, instead to:

  • Recognise that I am not the higher power
  • I have only a fraction of the facts at my disposal
  • I am in no position to judge any situation as 'grim'
  • To judge any situation as grim is to deliberately reject as unavailable or inadequate God's providential grace
  • Render up the situation to God
  • Ask God to remove my negativity, cynicism, and gloom and replace them with cheerfulness, poise, and constructive action

Once I've done that, I can legitimately decorate my life with pleasures and appreciations.

Take the trash out before putting flowers on the table.