Fundamental idea

 … deep down in every man, woman, and child, is the fundamental idea of God. (Big Book)

It is often emphasized in Al-Anon writings and in talk at meetings that ours is not a religious program, but a spiritual one. The central truth of all worship, creed, church or dogma is that God is the essence of our being, and this is the spiritual idea of Al-Anon. … However we regard Him, or even if we do not recognize Him at all, He is always there, within us, within every thing and every person in the universe, constantly available for our help if we are willing to accept. (One Day At A Time In Al-Anon, December 11)

What matters to me, at the end of the day, is not what others do, what others’ outcomes are, what my outcomes are, my circumstances, my situation, my ‘success’ or my ‘failure’ (for there is no ‘my’ really: all is from God, either directly or through the distortions and contortions of self), but whether or not, minute in, minute out, I recognise the Higher Reality.