Worry and putter

Regarding this doggerel from October 26 of One Day At A Time In Al-Anon (first published in 1968):

“Some folks worry and putter,
Push and shove
Hunting little molehills
To make big mountains of”

Where is this from? Its origin is uncertain, but I have found these:

From The Full Moon, Albemarle, North Carolina, Friday, March 9, 1951, and from the Plattsmouth Journal, Nebraska, Thursday, February 23, 1950:

“I worry
I putter
I push and shove
Hunting little molehills
To make mountains of”

There is further evidence from North Dakota that this was a saying that was circulating there in the middle of the 20th century.

In any case, here are the great sins:

  • Worry
  • Trivial activities
  • Trying to have my own way.

The small things are not worth worrying about.

The large things might be, but they are not my worry. They are God’s worry and therefore God’s business. If any action is my business, God will tell me.