Disruptive behaviour

AA meetings and groups generally run smoothly; AA sponsorship relationships generally run smoothly. Occasionally, they do not. I have jotted down some examples of disruptive behaviour which I have gotten up to over the years. To stop behaviour, I have to spot it, to spot it, I have to name it:

  • Going above a sponsor's head to their sponsor to complain about the sponsor
  • Playing different sponsors or advisors off against each other
  • Briefing against a sponsor 'in fellowship' (on the phone, in the coffee shop)
  • Briefing against a meeting, a group, a style of AA (e.g. 'Big Book AA'), or AA itself
  • In my sharing, undermining the stated purpose of the group
  • When sharing, having a go at the literature
  • When sharing, having a go at the passage picked by a group member
  • Cross-sharing (intemperately contradicting a previous share, explicitly or implicitly)
  • Waiting till last to share so I can overturn everything that has been said so far
  • Online: sending people messages to correct them when they don't share 'right'
  • IRL: grabbing people after the meeting to correct them when they don't share 'right'
  • Rabble-rousing against an individual, a meeting, a group, a service body, the GSO, or the GSB
  • Forming a little we hate so-and-so club
  • Forming structures outside the service structure to influence the service structure
  • Encouraging others to cause trouble on my behalf (proxy warfare)
  • Fomenting others' discontentment in AA, hoping they'll act on this
  • Going to specific meetings to throw a spanner in the works
  • Going to specific meetings to change them
  • Going to specific meetings to get them to see the error of their ways
  • Public displays of contention in inappropriate settings
  • Disrupting meetings with noise, moving around, fussing with my chair, etc.
  • Arriving late to make a point, usually with theatrical hellos and pantomime tiptoeing
  • Leaving early to make a point, with or without muttering, flouncing, or a Parthian shot
  • Being uncooperative with a sponsor, a meeting, a group, or a service body
  • Being hostile, evasive, recalcitrant, or accusatory to someone who I have asked to help me
  • Deliberately breaching group conscience decisions, the guidance from a meeting script, etc.
  • Deliberately breaching the bounds of the authority delegated to me as a trusted servant
  • Not doing the job I was asked to do or doing it in a slovenly, cavalier way
  • Necessitating boundary-setting by a sponsor or group ...
  • ... then portraying myself as ill-treated
  • Behaving so inappropriately someone halts the interaction or blocks me
  • ... then portraying myself as ill-treated
  • Using spiritual or AA principles to justify why my actions should not have consequences
  • Bullying individuals or groups to behave differently on behalf of others, e.g. newcomers
  • Claiming that practices I dislike will put newcomers off or, worse, kill newcomers
  • Claiming to be the mouthpiece of unnamed aggrieved persons too shy to speak up
  • Using emotional blackmail to retain people in my orbit for me to continue mistreating them
  • Threatening to leave AA, drink again, or commit suicide to manipulate others to act as I see fit
None of these are helpful, and I largely avoid these.