Two reasons for relapse

1. I was not done. I still enjoyed the addiction at some level, despite the consequences. I was not 100% convinced that the addiction held nothing of value for me. Unless the individual is done, they will relapse, even if that takes years or decades to come to pass. The siren song will echo in the mind.

2. I was done but did not take the necessary action. Here, relapse happens even though the addiction retains no intellectual hold, because the mind has not been released from its self-destructive command structure. Command must be yielded to directives from outside the system.

There are two conditions for permanent recovery, therefore:

1. Utter disillusionment with the previous perceived benefit of the addiction (the high, the fun, the release, the whatever), quite distinct from the disagreeable consequences.

2. Utter abandonment of self, so that the mechanism cannot come back online.