Hardware stores and bread

'Turning to an alcoholic for affection and support can be like going to a hardware store for bread.' (Courage to Change, January 2)

Before Al-Anon: I was a sucking vortex of need.

I was not OK as I was, on my own.

I was given a lot of love but could not receive it.

The problem was not a lack of food.

The problem was my lack of digestive system.

What did I need?

Constant attention, constant praise, constant validation, constant reassurance.

If people didn't bend over backwards to make me feel special, I was not OK.

And I then made sure they were not OK, either.

The hardware-store-and-bread analogy works both ways, too.

People come to me for humanity and get surveillance, monitoring, interference, intrusion, complaining, and demands.

What do people want? Mostly space.

Today I have very little in the way of needs.

Physical space. Quiet. An occupation. A livelihood. Noise-cancelling headphones. Really good earplugs. Double-glazing. Phone. Computer. WiFi.

And the guidance from smart people on how to find inner resources.

Those are the only resources there really are.