‘… the newcomer to Al-Anon …’ (ODAT, 22 February 2023)

I do not know specifically what they should do.

Even if their situation appears identical to my past situation, it is not.

I can share principles, which are very helpful.

I can share personal experience and observation, provided it is clear that this is their status: a personal example to follow or disregard, as applicable.

Al-Anon does not lay down how any of its members should respond to any particular situation. Even if society has protocols, mores, standard ways of doing things, research, scientific truths, laws, regulations, processes, procedures, fashionable ideologies and philosophies, methodologies, therapies, constructs and construals, systems for understanding and managing situations ...

Al-Anon has none of these and wishes none of them on any of us.

We have some ideas and experience, which are _suggested_, which means not forced or imposed by a benevolent know-it-all authority: others were free to share that with me, and I was free to do with that as I wished. I am now free to share this with others. I am responsible for my own situation; you are responsible for yours.

No victims, no persecutors, no rescuers.

Each situation is unique, and what works and does not work can often be surprising.