Shortcuts

'There will be alluring shortcuts and by-paths down which they may wander and lose their way.' (Page 123)

I'm alcoholic. One feature of that is that I treat myself like a chemistry set. How I feel is a function of what I believe, think, and do. I am tempted to use shortcuts, to short-circuit this, by tampering with my brain chemistry directly. I have done this using chemicals and using behaviours that produce chemical changes in my mind (process addictions). These conditions are downstream of the cause, though. Interference in brain chemistry does not cause lasting, healthy, and integrated upstream changes in my beliefs, thinking, and behaviour. There might be backflow, like in a plumbing system, but, once the interference is halted, I'm back to where I was before, just with extra, new problems stemming from the interference.

I'm a human being, not a chemistry set.

Slow is real.