Symmetry and asymmetry

I heard someone say, 'My relationship with AA is up and down,' as though the relationship is reciprocal and symmetrical.

I heard someone else say, 'My Steps, my Programme,' as though these are commodities possessed by a greater thing, namely oneself.

In these two statements lies the whole problem.

The relationship is not symmetrical. It is asymmetrical. And AA, the Steps, the Programme are infinitely bigger. They are what I give myself to.

Imagine someone coming to an ancient city and, after a few hours, saying, 'The city and I are not getting on so well' or 'My city ...'.

Little fellow: the city does not know you exist. You might have an attitude towards it, but that is entirely within your little mind. It does not subsist in the relationship with the city. And the city certainly does not belong to you. You might, overtime, become its, but it can never become yours.