What's a problem?

A problem is a disagreeable solution.

How do I know it's disagreeable? Not by asking myself! There are lots of things I say I find disagreeable, but not disagreeable enough to do something about. If I say I find something disagreeable, yet do nothing, or act only slowly to resolve the problem, I have a little secret. What's the little secret? I find the solution more disagreeable than the problem. The solution might be disagreeable because it involves challenge, effort, time, attention, concentration, etc.

That's usually not the only reason, though. Such problems are really a coin with two sides. One side has the consequences, and it is because of this side I classify the coin as a problem. But there is a flip side: the kick I'm getting out of it. The solution might therefore be disagreeable also because it involves giving up the kick.

So, when I've got a problem, but dally or dawdle with the solution, my problem is that I have a hobby with consequences, and, until I'm willing to be rid of the hobby as well as the consequences, I'm going to continue suffering the consequences.