People who resume drinking ... in a controlled way

There certainly are people who resume drinking, after a while in AA, in a controlled way. They say (I've heard them), 'I have it under control'.

The wording is interesting though. The word 'control' almost always comes into the description. Why is this interesting? Control implies the exertion of power to overcoming an opposing force. Were there not an opposing force, control would not be necessary. I do not need control to limit how many books I read, how many cups of tea I drink in the morning, or any other ordinary activity I undertake. Control necessarily implies there is the desire for more, and that desire is being denied. This, however, creates a tension, and tension always results in release. That release could come in the form of eliminating the desire once and for all, or it could come in the form of ... complete loss of control. Which is a matter of grace. When is a matter that is beyond human powers of foresight.