Identity

Identity. I don't bother. Boxes can get checked on forms, for which there is a practical purpose. But beyond that: sex, gender, sexual orientation, ethnicity, sociodemographic group, political orientation, religion, plus a bunch of other potential identity frames ... I seem to get by without any labels at all.

None of those are who I am, and wearing labels for myself would add nothing to my life.

Labels obscure the truth. As soon as something is labelled, my experience of that thing is denied. The truth is messy and dynamic. Labels do not begin to capture that.

Labels also separate. Unless you share the label, we're different. If we share the label, unless we share all the labels, we're different. If we share the label, we're allies. Sounds nice. But the term presupposes the existence of enemies. Who are the enemies? Everyone else.

We're all children of the Higher Power. There are no adults in God's Kingdom: the Kindergarten Kingdom.