'I don't like being told what to do'

Of course, that's a natural instinct of children. Every screaming three-year-old falls into that category.

It's also natural to resist being told what to do when the teller has no authority or is a fool.

Of course, the real reason for the resistance is the battle against God over one's own authorship. But that's maybe for a different conversation. Anyway:

In our case the teller is really the programme and the fellowship, the collective experience of AA, a sponsor I chose because they have what I want, a Higher Power, the laws of nature, or trusted servants appointed by the group conscience of a group I joined and whose MO I have signed up for.

I note the impulse to resist arising inappropriately, but, as with any other childish response, I resist that impulse.

It does no good to wear character defects like scouts' badges, as attainments to be proud of. Nor are they like birthmarks: ineradicable. Nor are they like cultural assets, like a fondness for hollandaise sauce, to be quietly treasured.

They're to be eliminated.