Grief when no one has died

When someone close dies, you'll probably feel grief. For how long? What form will it take? Well, that's a whole conversation. Although it's reasonably clear that I can make it worse by artificially amplifying an already bad situation. Though that's another thing entirely.

What's really interesting is noticing the grief reaction to the loss of stuff, jobs, position, etc. Fine: it's happened, and I guess it'll have to be worked through.

But the real question is this:

Why did I let myself get so attached to material and immaterial things of the world that, when I lose them or they're threatened, I react to them like they're people when they're not?

Why am I treating stuff like it's alive? Why am I treating abstract things like they're alive?

Why am I treating these things like they matter?