Volunteering tips (especially for us Al-Anons)

Some tips for volunteering for service:

If I want to say, 'no', I just say, 'no', and don't explain.

If I want to say, 'yes', I just say, 'yes', and don't explain.

If I decide to pass, I just say, 'pass', and don't explain.

If I can't volunteer, I keep my mouth entirely shut. I don't explain. I don't express my disappointment at not being able to volunteer. I don't offer to volunteer for another occasion or express my desire to do so.

If I can volunteer, I do so, without hedging by offering it to others (which is not my job) or by saying 'if no one else wants to'. I don't counteroffer or attempt to adjust the offer in any way.

If I can't volunteer, I don't volunteer someone else or suggest who the offeror should ask next, unless I am asked for this input.

If I have doubts about my knowledge, skill, or capacity, I resolve those doubts privately with my sponsor before volunteering. It's not the group's job to do that for me or to compromise the effectiveness of the role just so I can be trained.

If I volunteer for one thing in a group, I finish that before volunteering for another thing.

If I can volunteer but only in part, I do not volunteer.

If I can volunteer, but I have conditions, I don't volunteer, or I drop the conditions and volunteer.

If I don't have the reading in front of me, I don't volunteer to read.

If I have an old version or a different version of the book or script from another group, I don't offer to wing it or adapt it.

If I've lost my place, I don't volunteer to read.