The relationship between the spiritual malady and alcoholism

According to the Big Book, the spiritual malady is not part of Step One, or even Step Two. It's not even mentioned until we're a little way into Step Four.

Here's how the elements of alcoholism stack up:

Physical craving: When I drink, I overshoot, because that's what I do. So I have to stay sober!

Mental obsession: A bit of me always wants to drink, despite the consequences. It takes charge, and I keep getting drunk!

Solution: Have God be in charge, instead.

End of story?

No, because there's something standing in the way (page 66):
But with the alcoholic, whose hope is the maintenance and growth of a spiritual experience, this business of resentment is infinitely grave. We found that it is fatal. For when harbouring such feelings we shut ourselves off from the sunlight of the Spirit.
And going back to page 64:
Resentment is the “number one” offender. It destroys more alcoholics than anything else. From it stem all forms of spiritual disease, for we have been not only mentally and physically ill, we have been spiritually sick. When the spiritual malady is overcome, we straighten out mentally and physically. 
The root of the spiritual malady is resentment. When resentment is eliminated, 'poof' goes the spiritual malady. Resentment is the illness; the malady is its manifestation.

Resentment is the assertion of myself against others and God. Forgiveness is its reversal. When the reversal is complete peace is restored.

If your cat has a vomiting virus, you will need to eliminate the virus, but then clean up the vomit everywhere. Once forgiveness has been carried out (page 66), the rest of the Steps are clearing up the vomit.

How do I carry out forgiveness? I pray this prayer (page 67):
“This is a sick man. How can I be helpful to him? God save me from being angry. Thy will be done.”
I thus substitute helpfulness for resentment and ask for God's help to look at the situation differently. God will show us how to take a kindly and tolerant view of each and every one!