Theatricality

In my early meetings, I would share theatrically and dramatically about my past, my week, my problems. But woe betide anyone who wanted to discuss any of these with me afterwards!

The problems presented were not problems I wanted to solve; they were the pretext for the show. It was the show that was the payoff.

The stage character shared, and there was no point in talking to the actor about the stage character's issues. When the meeting was over, the curtain came down, and the actor walked off into the night. The job was done.

When I finally realised that problems were for solving not for staging, the actor and the character merged, and I discovered myself to be much less ostentatious in meetings about my problems. I saved them for the advisors, and in meetings shared instead about what I had learned in AA.