My first home group

My first long-standing home group barely changed over the 14 years I went (with a couple of gaps). They'd have a group conscience only when there was a specific problem to solve. They'd solve it, often inelegantly, but it was solved. They were very resistant to change. It was not a great place to have good ideas. Once, I had a good idea, and I was rounded on. Turns out it was not such a good idea.

In retrospect, it was a great model. Why? Because the structure, format, and content were sensational? No. The structure, format, and content are not necessarily hugely important, though. If the people attending have good programmes, the sharing will be great. If they don't, they won't. That's the chief driver. The reason why it was great was because it was a strong, reliable, continuous presence. It was an age-old harbour.

If you didn't like it, you needn't go. If you did, you went. The people that went liked it.

There were very few service assignments. Secretary, treasurer, GSR, tea, literature, door answerer. That was it. It was very simple indeed. It was a corral in which the wild horses could, and did, learn to be tamed.

If we didn't have regular business meetings or group conscience meetings, how could God's will be expressed? It was expressed in the reality of what was.

What I'm now learning from this about groups:

- Keep it simple
- Keep it pared down as far as possible
- If it ain't broke, don't fix it
- Don't fix, change, or control
- Don't try to mould the group to my vision for it
- Leave the group alone
- Leave the people alone
- Live and let live
- Sit quietly and take my turn
- Recognise I'm part of a great whole
- I'm the bozo on the boat
- I'm not the captain
- I'm not the helmsman
- I'm not the rudder
- I'm not the wind
- I'm not the sea