Freedom. Meh.

When I was drinking, I had no choice but to drink, and drink buckets.

One day, the thought of calling AA occurred to me. I did not feel I had a choice, any more than going to hospital when you have a broken arm is a choice. Theoretically, I could have done otherwise. Practically, I could not.

After a period of confusion, I started to listen, and I heard people offering me a solution, and I had no choice but to do what they suggested, because I was desperate.

Now, a 'bunch' of years later, I could theoretically stop going to meetings, stop sponsoring, stop structuring my day around the service of God, but, practically speaking, I have no choice. Why would I choose otherwise? Choice can be exercised only between viable options. Only one viable option? No choice.

Can you choose between heaven and hell? Once you're clear on which is which, no.

There is no freedom. The illusion of freedom is a sign of profound confusion. OK, so I can choose this shirt or that shirt; this meeting or that meeting; this dish or that dish. But those are trivial decisions in the material 'world'. That's not what we're talking about. We're talking about spiritual substance.

God's in charge. I'm the ant on the log floating down the river. I'm not steering the log. Forces far bigger than me have always been steering the log. That's why it's OK, and always OK.