Attention-seeking

I used to turn up late to things so I could make an entrance. I did not realise this at the time, but it is what I was doing. Theatrically tiptoeing across the room, silently waving and mouthing at people, and distracting everyone from the task at hand.

Why did I do this? Because it was more fun than quietly turning up early and taking up my place.

I have sometimes done the same thing in Zoom meetings: late arrival and then seeking input from the entire group in the group chat on what's been missed rather than just taking a back seat and following along as best as I can or contacting just the host. It's very interesting that often the information that's been missed does not need to be sought from the group or even the host as it's available on the group website or online presence, etc., or on the AA website (in the case of a Daily Reflections meeting).

Only if I examine my motivations carefully can I definitely discern what is going on. I've had other motivations or reasons for this kind of behaviour: not prioritising my AA participation, laziness, entitlement, wanting to look like a good student. But self is at the root of all of them.