I don't know ...

 ... what they're thinking.

Seriously.

Even if they're thinking it right now, they'll be thinking something else in a moment.

Plus my views of things change constantly. So do others'.

Plus they're also thinking about a thousand other things today.

So what significance does thinking (a) about (b) have in the larger scheme of things?

Even if they report what they're thinking, that report will be unreliable.

So I can't even go on that.

I don't need to worry about what they're thinking about.

I can respect the privacy of their minds, as I would the privacy of their diary or their phone.

Instead, I can 'Let It Begin With Me.'

What can I do to look after myself?

What can I do for others?

What can do for fun?

If I am concerned about others, I can ask:

Is there anything you would like me to do / stop doing / do differently?

If the request is reasonable, I can comply. If not, I can simply say, 'I'm not able to do that. Is there anything else?'

That keeps relations open and concrete and frees up a whole load of head space, too.