The games we play: What do we pay these people for?

Sometimes, my character defects are not as simple as 'pride' or 'jealousy'. Instead, they roam in gangs. Here's one where I combine laziness, entitlement, irresponsibility, and blame-throwing into a tidy package of insufferability. The game is called: 'What do we pay these people for?'

I play it chiefly with employers and anyone in authority (e.g. sponsors, people in responsible service roles, service-providers, airlines). It centres on the provision of information and resources.

It starts with me discovering that I do not have the information or resources to do something I urgently need to do. Alternatively, I might discover I have not done something I was supposed to, or did not do something the way I was supposed to do it.

Why did this happen?

- I wasn't paying attention when the information was provided
- I did not record it somewhere secure, memorable, and organised
- I had it but did not consult it
- I consulted it, but did not read it properly
- I did not learn how to use the relevant system, software, or app
- I otherwise did not follow instructions.

However, I then proceed to reproach the source of the information or resources or the commissioner of the task as follows:

- Complaining the information has not been provided to me
- ... or has not been provided to me at the right time, through the right channel, in the right form
- ... or is too complicated, too long, ambiguous, or otherwise badly written; and
- Blaming the system, the software, or the person choosing to deploy them.

This can, of course, be taken to the 'boss level' by:

- Asking for help with the above ...
- ... but resisting, evading, or objecting to the help or the form in which it comes
- Thereby maintaining my position of helplessness
- ... and the other person's role of guilty party.

This can be continued almost indefinitely.

What's the answer? I've got to spot it before I can do anything about it. Once I've spotted it: take responsibility and be cooperative!