How to answer your own question

A lot of people in recovery, when they have a problem, forget that they have a programme and immediately contact someone with the raw unprocessed problem, then ask that person to process it for them. People who are super new in recovery obviously can't process problems themselves and need to be led through the analysis of the problem and the application of the programme, very systematically, and assuming no prior knowledge.

Once a person has months, years, or decades in recovery, it's up to them to apply everything they have learned to problems that arise and seek input only where this proves inadequate.

Here's how to do that:

Have I prayed?
For how long?
Did I listen out for answers?
Did I write them down?
Did I implement them?
Which Step can I apply to this?
Which Tradition can I apply to this?
Which Concept can I apply to this?
Which passage(s) in the Big Book apply to this?
Which passage(s) in the Twelve Steps and Twelve Traditions apply to this?
Which passage(s) from Bill W's essays on the Twelve Concepts apply to this?
Which passage(s) from other AA literature apply to this?
Which passage(s) from Al-Anon literature apply to this?
What have I learned from meetings that applies to this?
What have I learned from a current or previous sponsor that applies to this?
What solutions are contained in the recovery or spiritual literature I have?
What solutions are contained in the recovery- or spirituality-related audio and video resources I have?
What solutions are contained in other online resources (e.g. blogs) I have access to?
What solutions are contained in other written materials I have collected or notes I have made?
What can I apply from the Just for Today card?

Resources: observation, experience, knowledge, reasoning, inspiration, intuition, prayer, meditation,  contemplation, recovery literature, other spiritual literature, other written, audio, and video resources

General principles:
Think things through for yourself as far as you can
Then consistently apply the solutions that present themselves
This will solve almost all problems almost all of the time
Ask others to help only where the results of the above prove inadequate
Ask others for input on decisions only once the preparatory work has been done

- Preparatory work for decisions:

    - What are the facts?
    - Am I called upon to respond?
    - What are the options?
    - What are the pros and cons of each option?
    - How do the principles of the programme apply?
    - What appears to be the best option?
    - What doubts remain and why?