Calling a sponsor - Protocol

Here's a good protocol for texting, emailing, or calling a sponsor.

This makes the most out of the interaction and makes it as efficient, effective, and hassle-free as possible for everyone involved.

Have I completed the last task I was given? If not, complete it first.

Do I have the results (if any) to hand? If not, get the results to hand.

Do I have a pen and paper or other means of writing with me? If not, get ready to take notes.

Do I have a problem I want to discuss?

Is the problem an emotional upset or a practical dilemma?

Have I exhausted my own knowledge, experience, and resources? If not, resolve the problem as far as you can yourself. Prepare:

A brief presentation of the situation (who is involved, the facts, and the events in the order they happened, if relevant).

A brief presentation of the tools already applied plus the results.

The specific question you'd like the sponsor to answer (something more specific than 'what do you think of all of that?')

If contacting a sponsor by text or email, be prepared for them to ask you to call them. Make sure you're available to speak.

If you text, email, or call and cannot get through so request call-back, be available for at least half an hour.