Choice

A choice can be made only where there are two or more options available to me.

An option is what seems a viable course of action (though it may not be viable: see below).

As one drink could trigger an unstoppable process that results in my destruction, drinking is not an option.

Since sobriety is the only option, there is no choice.

If drinking still seems a viable option, that would mean I do not believe the basic proposition of Step One:

- An alcoholic is someone who can never drink safely
- I am an alcoholic
- Therefore: I can never drink safely

If I were not signed up to these ideas, I would be mad.

If I were mad, there would indeed appear to be two options: drink or stay sober.

However, if I am mad, the choice between these two options should not be up to me.

Madness disqualifies me from decision-making and therefore choice.

In a state of madness, there is only one viable option: to turn my will and life over to God through AA. This is the only viable option, so there is no choice.

When I turn my will and life over to God, God makes the choice, so, again, I have no choice.

God has never 'decided' I should drink and told me so.

In turning my will and life over to God through AA, all further choice is removed.

Today, I do not have choices. Hoorah!