Do you DID? Handling a toxified situation.

D = debunking
I = immersion
D = discipline

Debunking

When I'm upset, I have a false frame of reference. I can't effectively clear up ego thinking. What I can do is recognise it's nuts, set it aside, and move away from it as fast as possible. To do so, a little examination can be necessary, often with the help of someone else who is sane. The purpose of this is to conclude that the thinking holds no merit and can be safely discarded. This removes the temptation to hold onto it in case it harbours value.

Immersion

Having debunked the wrong thinking, I immerse myself in right thinking. This does not mean trying to think right about the situation that housed the problem in the first place. I'm still too nuts at this point to right my thinking about the situation. Immersion means wholehearted engagement in material (writings, videos, audio, classes, conversation) on spiritual truth (e.g. A Course In Miracles, Emmet Fox, Anthony De Mello, whatever or whoever appeals). This places me in a new frame of reference. This is like building the ark. Once I'm saturated (i.e. the ark is built), I proceed to the next phase ...

Discipline

This is where I alternate back and forth between staying close to God (prayer, meditation, dwelling on spiritual ideas) and performing His work well (thoroughly engaging myself in a practical activity, whether work or something interesting for its own sake, with no negative emotional connotations or kick to it). It also means strictly refraining from anything that lies outside these two activities. This can be likened to living inside the ark.

It's important in the Discipline phase to continue to refrain from 'touching' the toxic matter mentally. If I return to it too early, I re-poison myself and I'm back at square one.

I therefore test the situation by glancing at the matter that was toxic. If I still feel an emotional charge, I return to the ark. At some point, I glance at the matter and discover that the problem has resolved itself automatically: sanity has been restored.  This is like the bird returning to the ark with the sprouting branch.

I cannot inch towards sanity by effort directed at this objective. The effort required is the effort to relinquish my allegiance to the ego mind and place myself entirely under the care and direction of God. When I adopt the above procedure, and the return to sanity becomes automatic.