God's job and my job

Once I've completed the first nine Steps, I have a job to do: the last three Steps. They're my job, my responsibility.

If I'm feeling unfocused, distracted, frightened, or resentful, full of schemes and plots, or full of self-pity and resignation, the answer is in my hands: I can work Step Ten and come back to the moment, as per pages 84 and 85, again and again and again.

If I'm feeling depressed, uninspired, confused, or disconnected, the answer is in my hands: I can work Step Eleven, and take responsibility for my own spiritual growth.

If my life is not full of service every day, within AA and outside, the answer is in my hands: I can work Step Twelve and fully release the potential God has placed within me.

God's responsible for everything else, but God will not take responsibility for what is mine.

How much time do they take, these three Steps? They take all my time. I decided to turn my will and life over to God in Step Three, and I turned it, which means I don't have a life. God has my life. God gives me back one day at a time, and Steps Ten, Eleven, and Twelve are my method of conducting my day, 24 hours a day. There is nothing else.