Feeling overwhelmed

Sometimes, when I'm overwhelmed, I need to organise myself by scanning all areas of my life, listing what needs to be done and when, bringing into today only what needs to be brought into today, and then getting on with it. It becomes clear that, as long as I put one foot in front of another, everything is likely going to be OK, so I can let go.

Sometimes the circumstances are too broken or there are a number of 'bad' things that really might happen and that, however organised and effective I am, I cannot stop them. Sometimes the dice were cast a long time ago, and, if you'll allow the mixed metaphor, the sky is dark with chickens coming home to roost. No matter how I rationalise it, things are terrible.

When that happens, I might still have to be organised and take the actions as outlined above, but I might also have to just accept the waves of events coming at me and give into them. The pain, the sense of being overwhelmed, comes from trying to resist or overcome them. Sometimes, they can't be resisted; sometimes, they can't be overcome.

However, the good news is that, if I remain organised, take action, and, above all, rely on God for protection, direction, and power, I will be OK. My material life, my circumstances, might be flattened, but, when I continue to rely on God, take action, and remain organised, my material life and my circumstances always bounce back, eventually.

The first time I let everything break around me, I realised that I was OK, even if my life and my circumstances were not, and I could walk through anything. The 'anything' did not matter. What mattered was the 'I' and remaining in touch with my Source, the Higher Power.