Conflict about drinking

Whilst I still saw some benefit in drinking, I was doomed to continue drinking even though most of me did not want to. When I realised that the benefits of drinking were in fact lies told by my ego, I could separate myself from them and say, 'I don’t see any benefit in drinking, but my ego does.' Then, as the decision-maker deciding between the ego and the 'Other Voice' (God), I could perform a real evaluation of which voice to trust. Only once I was dis-identified from my ego could I choose against it. Whilst I was identified with it, I could not. To stay sober after the last relapse, I had to relinquish entirely my decision-making role in the ordinary sense: it was not up to me to judge situations and assess courses of action; my job was to choose a guide (self, in practice: my own thoughts; or God, in practice: others' suggestions in AA). I was to decide only which voice to heed.

Two things flowed from this surrender: sobriety, and peace.