Chapter 7: WORKING WITH OTHERS: Tips for relationships

Chapter 7: WORKING WITH OTHERS

The following quotations largely concern working with other alcoholics. However, they also contain principles applicable to relationships. What I have written sets out ideals. Sometimes I live up to them. Sometimes I don't. Progress has been made. All of the ideas have come from elsewhere. I have just collected them and written them down. The following material relates primarily to the closest relationship. It could equally apply to other relationships.

Practical experience shows that nothing will so much ensure immunity from drinking as intensive work with other alcoholics. It works when other activities fail. This is our twelfth suggestion: Carry this message to other alcoholics!

·         To have a healthy relationship with my other half, I have to depend on God

·         To depend on God, I have to work for God

·         That means I have to spend 'much of my free time' (page 19) sponsoring others or engaged in other twelfth-step work

·         The relationship with God is the most important relationship

·         It is what enables a healthy relationship with another human being

·         When I engage in enough sponsorship and service, I find my relationship is healthy

So cooperate; never criticize. To be helpful is our only aim.

·         I get to cooperate in my other half's activities, when I am invited to do so

·         I get to cooperate in our joint activities: together we establish what we are going to do and how we are going to do it

·         We do this in a 'group conscience meeting'

·         Cooperation involves firstly taking concerted action and secondly yielding to the other person wherever reasonable and possible

·         If the other person is reasonable, it is almost always reasonable and possible to yield

·         My other half and I do not criticise each other

·         However, we will sometimes make requests of the other person going forward

·         These are made politely, quietly, calmly, and at the right time

·         The other person is entitled to respond if they wish, as they wish, and when they wish

·         We do not argue

·         The only aim of the relationship is to be helpful to the other person

·         It is an opportunity for service

·         Everything I do not like is an opportunity for forgiveness

·         Forgiveness means me changing my attitude

·         I rely on God

·         Sometimes God supplies me with what I need through the relationship

·         Sometimes what I need comes through other channels

... to put yourself in his place, to see how you would like him to approach you if the tables were turned.

·         When I am unclear or disapproving, I ask God to show me how the world looks from my other half's point of view

·         I ask God what my attitude and conduct look like from my other half's point of view

·         This provides better information than looking at things from my point of view

If he does not want to see you, never force yourself upon him.

·         I have my life

·         My other half has his life

·         We have a joint household

·         We have joint activities

·         I get to offer activities

·         He gets to choose whether to participate

·         He gets to offer activities

·         I get to choose whether to participate

·         I have no right to demand his participation in anything

·         I have no right to intrude into his life

·         He extends the same courtesies back to me

·         He is entirely responsible for his own beliefs, thoughts, actions, and internal life

·         I am entirely responsible for my own beliefs, thoughts, actions, and internal life

·         Neither of us forces ourselves into the other's personal domain

Neither should the family hysterically plead with him to do anything

·         The ideal:

o    If I have a request of him, make it as set out above

o    No pleading

o    No hysteria

But urge them not to be over-anxious, for that might spoil matters.

·         If my other half is worried or upset, I do not enter into the worry or upset or I become useless

·         The ideal:

o    Be compassionate

o    Be a source of strength

o    Be a source of poised, objective guidance if asked

If the man be agnostic or atheist, make it emphatic that he does not have to agree with your conception of God.

·         What my other half believes or does not believe in terms of religion or spirituality is none of my business

To be vital, faith must be accompanied by self-sacrifice and unselfish, constructive action.

·         Unselfish, constructive action is the motto for home life

·         My job is to serve the common goals

·         This requires sacrificing other activities

·         As I respect my other half and what he does in the world, this is a worthwhile sacrifice

·         If it were not, I would be in a relationship with the wrong person

Make it plain he is under no obligation to you ...

·         Giving asks for nothing in return

·         If anything is asked in return, it's not giving

·         I give to my other half

·         He gives to me

·         We trust in each other based on history

·         But history does not establish burdens or obligations

·         The point of trust is that it does not entail guarantees

Suggest how important it is that he place the welfare of other people ahead of his own.

·         If in doubt, consider the other person's welfare above my own

·         If we both do this, we come out even

Make it clear that he is not under pressure, that he needn’t see you again if he doesn’t want to.

·         Zero demands of the other person

·         Zero claim on their time or attention

·         What, how, and when they give is up to them

If your talk has been sane, quiet and full of human understanding

·         This is a good three-part motto for interactions

o    Be sane

o    Don't be crazy

o    Be quiet

o    Don't be loud

o    Seek to understand

o    Rather than be understood

You will be most successful with alcoholics if you do not exhibit any passion for crusade or reform.

·         Do not try to win over the other person to a point of view

·         Do not try to reform the other person's character or conduct

Though his family be at fault in many respects, he should not be concerned about that.

·         As indicated above, no criticism under any circumstances

·         That includes internally

·         Internal criticism always manifests externally

·         They always know

He should concentrate on his own spiritual demonstration.

·         Ideal:

o    Keep my focus on right behaviour

o    Keep my focus off the other person's behaviour

o    'Let it begin with me'

Argument and fault-finding are to be avoided like the plague.

·         If tempted to argue, stay quiet, change the subject, or withdraw

·         Do not process emotional disturbance concerning a person with that person

·         Deal with emotional disturbance elsewhere

·         If a boundary is necessary, work the programme with a sponsor and with God until I'm at peace and cheerful

·         Then see if a boundary is necessary

The most incompatible people discover they have a basis upon which they can meet.

·         Do not measure the relationship against common notions of what a relationship should look like

·         Let the common ground be what it is: great or small

·         Focus on what does work

Little by little the family may see their own defects and admit them. These can then be discussed in an atmosphere of helpfulness and friendliness.

·         Admit fault straight away

·         Put it right straight away

·         Useful questions:

o    Is there anything you would like me to stop doing?

o    Is there anything you would like me to start doing?

o    Is there anything you would like me to do differently

... provided, however, the alcoholic continues to demonstrate that he can be sober, considerate, and helpful, regardless of what anyone says or does.

·         Sober means physically sober

·         It also means objective, calm, and cheerful

·         Considerate means putting the other person first

·         Helpful means doing things for the other person

·         It does not matter whether the other person is giving back right now or at the moment

·         It does not matter whether the other person is displaying character defects right now or at the moment

·         Giving is not conditional

Of course, we all fall much below this standard many times. But we must try to repair the damage immediately lest we pay the penalty by a spree.

·         Do not beat myself up or panic about mistakes

·         Apologise straight away

·         Do not explain

·         Do not justify

·         Take it on the chin

·         Be open to direction from the other person about what to start doing, stop doing, or do differently

If their old relationship is to be resumed it must be on a better basis, since the former did not work. This means a new attitude and spirit all around.

·         This basis can be summed up by:

o    Rely on God

o    Give to the other person

o    Forgive the other person

o    Forgiveness means

§  Withdrawing demands

§  Withdrawing judgement

§  Seeing things from their point of view

§  Adopting a kindly and tolerant view

Sometimes it is to the best interests of all concerned that a couple remain apart.

·         If I am too disturbed to be useful, cheerful, and kind ...

·         ... say I'm going to take some time for myself ...

·         ... temporarily remove myself ...

·         And deal with it promptly elsewhere

Remind the prospect that his recovery is not dependent upon people. It is dependent upon his relationship with God.

·         The other person is not the source

·         They're the channel

·         If they were the channel yesterday, that does not mean they will be the channel today

·         If they are the channel today, that does not mean that they will be the channel tomorrow

·         If they are not the channel today, that does not mean that they will never be the channel again

·         Have patience

When we look back, we realize that the things which came to us when we put ourselves in God’s hands were better than anything we could have planned.

·         The benefits of a long-term relationship are often intangible

·         They're often demonstrated by fruitfulness in other areas

·         By placing myself in God's hands, I was guided to someone with numerous admirable qualities

·         By asking God for direction, I obtained entirely different results than when I made relationship decisions based on ego gratification

·         The ego looks for:

o    Specialness

o    Flattery

o    Excitement

o    Possession

o    A means of mending my wounding self-esteem

·         These will produce a sick relationship

·         Someone said, 'I don't know how to have a healthy sick relationship'

·         Sometimes, one side of a sick relationship (e.g. with a relative, colleague, or a sponsee) can be mended, and the whole relationship changes

·         I have never succeeded in working on a sick romantic or intimate relationship from the inside of the relationship

·         If others have, you'll have to ask them!

·         In my case, I left, changed, and found someone healthier instead

·         I found someone healthy by becoming healthy

·         By becoming healthy, I stopped being attractive to unhealthy people

·         It takes two to tango

·         I did not fix the tango

·         I learned how to dance a different dance

Follow the dictates of a Higher Power and you will presently live in a new and wonderful world, no matter what your present circumstances!

·         A healthy relationship is an impregnable fortress

·         The fortress is invisible

·         But it provides enormous strength

·         Whatever the present circumstances

You should warn against arousing resentment or jealousy.

·         Be faithful

·         Including in heart and mind

Do not think of what you will get out of the occasion. Think of what you can bring to it.

·         When I'm focusing on giving, I'm attracting direction and power from Above

·         When I'm focused on getting, the flow from Above is blocked

But if you are shaky, you had better work with another alcoholic instead!

·         Step Twelve work solves almost all relationship disturbance

·         Almost all relationship disturbance stems from spiritual misalignment

·         I then blame the relationship or the other person for not giving me what I think I need or want

·         Instead:

·         When what I need and want is God's direction and power

·         When the relationship with God is sorted out

·         The relationship with the other person falls into place

We are careful never to show intolerance or hatred of drinking as an institution.

·         I have found it helpful not to vent within the relationship even about things outside

·         A while ago, I vented to my other half about something in my life, for maybe 15 seconds

·         He said: 'That needs to stop.'

·         He was right

·         I try not to introduce any poison into the common territory

... but we shall be of little use if our attitude is one of bitterness or hostility.

·         Neither bitterness nor hostility are helpful

·         Bitterness rejects present reality and wishes for something different

·         Hostility erects a wall between me and the other person

·         Both bitterness and hostility destroy the ability to be present

·         If I descend into either, the job is to remove myself, deal with them, and return with a different attitude.

Besides, we have stopped fighting anybody or anything. We have to!

·         It has been suggested to me to accept the other person exactly the way they are

·         That means not criticising them

·         And not attempting to change them in any way

·         This is the definition of unconditional love

·         Not fighting largely means this:

·         Letting life flow around me without interfering with it

·         Getting on with what is in front of me