Willingness, willpower, and courage

When I've got a problem, there is a sequence of steps to implementing the solution.

Firstly I've got to recognise I've got a problem.


Once I know I've got a problem, I have to ask myself whether I want a solution.

If I feel conflicted, I don't yet believe I have a problem: I am experiencing fun plus consequences, and I'm complaining about the consequences. I get clear by asking the following question:

Am I perfectly willing to do anything to get rid of this problem?


I look objectively at the bottom line and ask: on balance, is this good or bad? I might be attached to the 'good' in a bad situation, but I can be honest that the bad outweighs the good.

Once I am perfectly willing:

I ask God what the solution is, then listen for God's answer through my trusted confidants, amongst other channels.


The answer is almost always clear.

It's important at this point not to listen to my chatter-head's response to the solution. When I've got a problem, asking the source of the problem (the chatter-head) for its opinion on the solution is plain dumb.

Once the answer is clear, the job is to:

Implement the solution.


... which means committing to taking action and then taking action. That's an act of the will, for which willpower is required.

If there is any resistance, I'm actually stuck at one of the earlier stages.

Is God's help required? Yes. Any final hesitance is the fear of the pain of implementing the solution. I then:

Ask God to give me the courage to walk through the discomfort of implementing the solution.


Do I wait? No, I act, as the courage is given not in advance but in the walking itself.