Offline and online respect

'Most of us sense that real tolerance of other people’s shortcomings and viewpoints and a respect for their opinions are attitudes which make us more useful to others,' (page 19, Alcoholics Anonymous)

Offline, especially in a meeting or other fellowship context, this means not criticising other people's (perceived) defects and not attacking other people's viewpoints and opinions, directly or indirectly. I can set out my experience, whilst validating others', and whilst observing that some people have gotten well in AA doing things very differently than me. I can recognise that different views are valid from different viewpoints, and that one size does not fit all.

The book Alcoholics Anonymous itself discusses shortcomings, in particular attitudes and behaviour patterns that are unhelpful. I think it's OK to discuss what works and does not work; what is consistent with the AA programme and what is not. In these cases, I try and stick either to general principles or to what I personally have done wrong. That tends to keep me away from directly attacking another individual, their conduct, their shortcomings, their viewpoints, or their opinions.

My principle for online communications: don't say anything online that I wouldn't say to the person, face to face, before a couple of hours of having to sit opposite them in a diner booth after the meeting.

Both offline and online, I'm working towards these ideals.