My head would kill me if I did not need it for transportation

'Therefore, the main problem of the alcoholic centers in his mind, rather than in his body.' (Alcoholics Anonymous, page 23)

'A body badly burned by alcohol does not often recover overnight nor do twisted thinking and depression vanish in a twinkling. We are convinced that a spiritual mode of living is a most powerful health restorative.' (Alcoholics Anonymous, page 133)

'We had a new Employer.' (Alcoholics Anonymous, page 63)

'May you find Him now!' (Alcoholics Anonymous, page 59)

'faith must be accompanied by self sacrifice and unselfish, constructive action.' (Alcoholics Anonymous, page 93)

This is my experience of how I live the above. It may differ from yours. That's OK.

When I was new, someone said, 'Ask your head where it is getting its information from,' suggesting I should not automatically believe or obey my head.

What does 'head' mean? Bad thinking.

People suggested this:

The head cannot be trusted, so do not trust it. Just get through to the next meeting, following your sponsor's suggestions along the way.

Once I decided to do this, regardless of what my head told me, I stopped relapsing. I fired myself as the manager of my life. I became the employee of a new Employer, God, who spoke to me largely through AA's Good Orderly Direction.

What my head told me no longer mattered! I couldn't shut it down fully but I could change my attitude towards it. The following tips helped in early days and even today when I'm out of sorts.

How to handle my head (= bad thinking)

Treat my head like a dumb child
I do not need to punish it
But I do not need to believe it
I do not need to engage with it
I do not need to argue with it
I do not need to put it in charge
Whenever my head says something:
Reply: 'Thank you for sharing!
Then come back to the task before me

How to get through the day

Follow the daily programme
Get on with the tasks of life
If a real decision comes along:
Pray
Ask a sensible person what to do
Do that

How to stay out of my head

Do step work
Go to a meeting
Make myself useful there
Do service
Ask someone how their day was
Listen
Ask follow-up questions
Listen
Get on with something constructive
Call someone newer than me
Call someone crazier than me
Pray a memorised prayer 
Pray it over and over 
Read recovery or spiritual literature
Listen to recovery or spiritual recordings
Visualise being loved and protected by God
Sing or hum a song
Recite a poem

How to come back to the now

Focus on what I am doing right now
When my mind wanders, bring it back
Focus on breathing slowly and deeply
Focus on the sensations of the body:
What do I feel physically?'
Where?
What can I see?
What can I hear?
Repeat: 'God is with me now'