How to block a solution

I have been very expert at remaining stuck in problems. As such, they were more hobbies than problems. Here are the tactics I have used:

Reject the existence of a solution. Whilst a problem is blamed on the past, others, the body, or some other factor outside my control, the problem is not a problem per se but appears to be a state of suffering calling for symptomatic relief. Relief is fine but does not solve the problem.

Sometimes I would be presented with another person who had had the same problem but had found a solution. This avenue can be blocked either by ignoring this fact or by discounting it by finding some trivial difference that means the solution that worked for them would not work for me.

If these fail, further road-blocks can be erected. These can be very inventive: forgetting to bring the materials, having a diary malfunction; the phone running out of juice; transportation problems; no signal; can’t open the link; can’t open the document; having trouble with written materials; not being available because of other commitments; not having enough money; not being able to concentrate because of emotion; reacting to, resisting, and actively rejecting aspects of or the entire solution; reproaching, demonising, or dismissing the person offering the solution. There are hundreds of these methods!

I successfully blocked available solutions for years. Once I realised what I was doing, I was able to see through my ego’s defences as just that, and I was able to start getting well.